Monday, February 9, 2015

Why I joined the IHL Youth Action Campaign

When you think of senior year, joining a Red Cross campaign is not the first thing that usually pops into mind. Many people think of senioritis, prom, graduation, and all the other fun things that come along with being at the top of the "food chain". 

To be honest, I thought my senior year would be similar to that of Gabriella's in High School Musical 3: filled with parties, going out, spontaneous singing and dancing with my fellow classmates, and enjoying my last year of being a kid before I ventured off into the world of College and legal adulthood. However, not only do I not sing and dance in the hallways, I never go out because I can almost always be found holed up in my scrambling to finish the homework assigned to me by my six, wonderful, AP teachers. 

One day I realized that my senior year was on a fast track to “unmemorablenessville,” and I felt like I needed to make a quick exit off this road. That realization began my search for something unique to do. I was tired of the monotony of school and soccer, and I needed something challenging and rewarding to consume my virtually nonexistent free time for the remainder of my senior year.

One evening, I stumbled upon a Facebook post asking for people to apply to this “Red Cross IHL Youth Action Campaign.” I clicked on the link and read the description of what it was, and I ABSOLUTELY KNEW I HAD TO BE A PART OF THIS AMAZING CAMPAIGN!!”


I've always been interested in international humanitarian law. Ever since I was old enough to comprehend the atrocities that have happened and continue to happen in our world, I've always known that I wanted to help those who couldn’t help themselves. When I read that the focus of the campaign was refugees, I felt an indescribable force imploring me to join. As an immigrant from Africa, every time I hear about bombings displacing people or the plight of refugees, I get this illogical sense of guilt. I know that if I wasn't fortunate enough to have parents that had the skills and education enabling them to come to America, I could have easily become one of those refugees struggling to survive in a cramped refugee camp while hopelessly seeking asylum. 

In a sense, this campaign is kind of a therapeutic journey for me. By helping to spread awareness about International Humanitarian law and the refugees that depend on it, I am able to come to terms with the privileged life that I live. I realize that I don't have to feel bad for “abandoning” the millions of Africans and people of other ethnicities who are or will become refugees because I didn't abandon them! In fact, through this campaign, I'm actively striving to empower the refugee community within my community and around the world in my own little way. Each adolescent or young adult that our campaign educates about International Humanitarian Law is one more person who can fight on behalf of the refugees as a future lawyer, ambassador, lobbyist, aid worker, or even a lawmaker. To me, knowing that what I'm doing is impacting the future leaders of the world is more rewarding than partying my weekends away!

Moyo Ajepe

No comments:

Post a Comment